The National Guidelines for Newborn Care1,2,3 by the Federal Ministry of Health of Nigeria are available. Dr Osagie Ehanire , MD, FWACS, Honourable Minister for Health explains that these guidelines are a tool to support achievement of reduction of neonatal mortality.
The guidelines is to standardize neonatal care in the nation’s basic1, primary2, and secondary&tertiary care institutions3 where newborn care services are provided. Some of the topics addressed in the guidelines include but not limited to:
- Parenteral nutrition
- Enteral nutrition
- Neonatal jaundice
- Neonatal haematologic conditions
- Stabilization, referral and transport of the sick newborn
- Thermoregulation and Kangaroo mothercare
Newborn guidelines can now be downloaded from the FMoH website:
- Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria. Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) Operational Guidelines. November 2021, first edition.
- Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria. National Guidelines for Basic Newborn Care. November 2021, first edition.
- Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria. National Guidelines for Comprehensive Newborn Care. November 2021, first edition.